Monday, December 15, 2008

Final Post


Portrait.



Long Drawing of the Eye.


Skull Drawing, back 3/4 view.


Long Drawing of Model, since midterm.



Gesture.

I really enjoyed drawing my portrait, since it has been a really long time since I drew myself. I also have never drawn any portrait using charcoal, or in the size that I did on my portrait, so it was definitely a challenge for me.
Luckily for me, I feel that Life drawing has really helped my drawing skills, dramatically. Aside from not drawing my own portrait in a long time, I really haven't done much drawing for a few years. Every once in a while I would pick up my sketchbook, just to polish my skills. So, having another drawing class really helped there. I was drawing more between my Printmaking class, for ideas, and Life Drawing than I have in the last 2 years combined. So I really enjoyed the amount of work my hands were getting with drawing. I can totally feel my drawing skill getting better between the 2 classes, and I think that the most of that is coming from Life drawing.
These last few long poses, skull, eye, and portrait show evidence of that. One factor that has gotten better is my line work. The variation of the lines, especially in the long drawing of the model, really give my drawings a sense of depth, and put them in proper space.
Another aspect of my drawings that have improved would be the mark-making. In the portrait, and on the skull, I really feel like my marks really help to separate the planes. It also helped me describe the space much easier, without feeling like I have to get everything exact.
My knowledge of proportion and identifying the planes also improved to a higher level, which is evident in my portrait, and the gesture drawing.
As far as building the muscles on the maniken, I wasn't a huge fan of that. I somewhat reluctantly ground through each set of muscles that we built. I definitely see how knowledge of the muscles can help with the drawing, but I could only scarcely relate to me building them and how I drew them. I guess it just wasn't for me.
The thing I enjoy most about my maniken would be his killer, tough, full beard, which I found myself being jealous of more often than not.

No comments: